Time to take graphics card apart. To detach the cooler you need to remove 4 spring screws, which are directly connected to the GPU plate (as shown below). Bear in mind, there are three cable headers on the card, some are hard to unplug.
Thermal compound quality
I think MSI may be applying little too much compound, it’s hard to clean the GPU and it could affect thermal characteristics of the GPU.
Unlike GTX 1080 GAMING X, the baseplate of 1080 TI GAMING X ends right before power section. The predecessor had an additional plate for VRM section. The GTX 1080 Ti goes a bit further but connecting VRM section directly to the heatsink with thermal pads.
MSI’s board has 8+2 phase design:
There are in total 16 voltage converters.
The cooler is attached to the shroud by four screws hidden under the fans.
Card is bundled with quick start guide, comic ‘Dragon Lucky’ manual, CD with drivers and 6-pin to 8-pin power adapter.
- Table of Contents
- Page 1 - Overview MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
- Page 2 - A closer look MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
- Page 3 - Testing platform & methodology
- Page 4 - Overclocking MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
- Page 5 - STABILITY GPU Temperature ● Core Clock ● GPU Usage ● Memory Usage
- Page 6 - Benchmarks 3DMark ● VRMark ● Unigine
- Page 7 - DirectX 12 Battlefield 1
- Page 8 - DirectX 12 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Page 9 - DirectX 12 The Division
- Page 10 - Vulkan Doom
- Page 11 - DirectX 11 Ghost Recon: Wildlands
- Page 12 - DirectX 12 HITMAN
- Page 13 - DirectX 11 Metro: Last Light
- Page 14 - DirectX 11 Rainbow Six: Siege
- Page 15 - DirectX 12 Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Page 16 - DirectX 12 Sniper Elite 4
- Page 17 - DirectX 12 Total War: Warhammer
- Page 18 - DirectX 11 The Witcher 3
- Page 19 - Conclusion