Our stability evaluation starts with FLIR test. We use those pictures to demonstrate where the heat is cumulating.
|IDLE & LOAD THERMAL EXAMINATION|
|40 C||65 C|
|GPU IDLE||GPU LOAD|
When using Zero Frozr you can expect around 40C when GPU is idle, with Zero Frozr disabled you should be seeing around 32C.
|MSI ZERO FROZR THERMAL EXAMINATION|
|40 C||32 C|
|ZERO FROZR ON (GPU TEMPERATURE)||ZERO FROZR OFF (GPU TEMPERATURE)|
MSI GAMING APP profiles and how they affect graphics card performance
Like with all GAMING cards we are looking at built-in profiles to see which mode would suit our needs. The difference between Gaming and OC modes is almost within a margin of error. I don’t think it would justify the requirement of installing GAMING APP. Just bear in mind that while it works fine with most overclocking tools like Afterburner, each profile reload causes AB to reload too.
By selecting Silent mode you can decrease the temperature by 4C. We decreased temperature by 7C with our custom fan profile.
Our custom fan profile is not meant to be quiet (although it’s not that noisy). It’s meant to provide a good platform for our overclocking, by eliminating any thermal barriers.
Our overclocking profile is more stable than built-in profiles as demonstrated by this graph.
In this test, we look how quickly GPU reaches idle temperature after 10 minutes of stress testing. It takes around one minute to reach ‘normal’ temperature only to see Zero Frozr kick in and turn fans off (hence the temperature is rising again). Our manual OC has no Zero Frozr and temperature drops further to 29C.
GPU Power Usage
This is a power usage chart measured in % of total TDP.
Game GPU clock stability
I gathered several games (all using Ultra or Very High settings at 4K) to show you actual core clock when gaming. Please note our tests were conducted with OC mode enabled:
- Table of Contents
- Page 1 - Overview MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X Plus
- Page 2 - A closer look MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X Plus
- Page 3 - Testing platform & methodology
- Page 4 - DirectX 12 Battlefield 1
- Page 5 - DirectX 12 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Page 6 - DirectX 12 The Division
- Page 7 - Vulkan Doom
- Page 8 - DirectX 11 Ghost Recon: Wildlands
- Page 9 - DirectX 12 HITMAN
- Page 10 - DirectX 11 Metro: Last Light
- Page 11 - DirectX 11 Rainbow Six: Siege
- Page 12 - DirectX 12 Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Page 13 - DirectX 12 Sniper Elite 4
- Page 14 - DirectX 11 The Witcher 3
- Page 15 - Overclocking & Memory Speed & Multi-GPU (SLI)
- Page 16 - STABILITY GPU Temperature ● Core Clock ● GPU Usage ● Memory Usage ● 3DMark
- Page 17 - Conclusion