« press release »
Introducing the Framework Laptop
At Framework, we believe the time has come for consumer electronics products that are designed to last. Founded in San Francisco in 2019, our mission is to empower you with great products you can easily customize, upgrade, and repair, increasing longevity and reducing e-waste in the process.
Today, we are excited to unveil our first product: the Framework Laptop, a thin, lightweight, high-performance 13.5” notebook that can be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other notebook can.
We’re here to prove that designing products to last doesn’t require sacrificing performance, quality, or style. The Framework Laptop meets or beats the best of what’s in the category:
- Crafted with a precision formed and milled aluminum housing, coming in at 15.85mm thick and 1.3kg.
- Designed for the future of work with a 13.5” 3:2 screen with 2256×1504 resolution, a fantastic 1080p 60fps webcam (finally!) with hardware privacy switches, a high cycle-life 55Wh battery, and a great feeling keyboard with 1.5mm key travel.
- Delivering excellent performance with 11th Gen Intel Core Processors configurable with Wi-Fi 6E, up to 64GB of DDR4 memory, and 4TB or more of Gen4 NVMe storage.
On top of that, the Framework Laptop offers unparalleled options to upgrade, customize and repair:
- Our Expansion Card system makes adapters a thing of the past, letting you choose exactly the ports you want and which side of the notebook you want them on. With four bays, you can select from USB-C, USB-A, HDMI, DisplayPort, MicroSD, ultra fast storage, a high-end headphone amp, and more.
- Along with socketed storage, WiFi, and two slots of memory, the entire mainboard can be swapped to boost performance as we launch updated versions with new CPU generations.
- High-use parts like the battery, screen, keyboard, and color-customizable magnetic-attach bezel are easy to replace. QR codes on each item take you directly to guides and the listing in our web store.
- In addition to releasing new upgrades regularly, we’re opening up the ecosystem to enable a community of partners to build and sell compatible modules through the Framework Marketplace.
Most consumer electronics devices are disposable one-offs by design. The single best way to reduce the environmental impact of electronics is to make them last longer. In addition to enabling longevity, we’re focused on improving sustainability across the life of our products. The Framework Laptop is made of 50% post consumer recycled (PCR) aluminum and an average of 30% PCR plastic. Our packaging is fully recyclable with no single-use plastics, and all of our product shipments are carbon offset.
The Framework Laptop is available in a range of pre-configured models running Windows 10 Home or Pro. For those of you who love to tinker, we’ve also created the Framework Laptop DIY Edition, the only high-end notebook available as a kit of modules that you can customize and assemble yourself, with the ability to choose Windows or install your preferred Linux distribution. Regardless of the path you take, we include a screwdriver in the box so you can upgrade over time.
We’re looking forward to sharing more and will announce our full line-up with specs, pricing, pre-order timing, and a summer 2021 ship date over the next weeks. Until then, please visit us at https://frame.work or follow our progress at @FrameworkComputer.
It’s time for long-lasting products that respect your right to repair and upgrade. We’re bringing this philosophy to notebooks this year and to additional categories as we go. We chose an ambitious mission and assembled an incredible team to deliver on it, bringing experience from the founding team of Oculus and design, engineering, and operations across Apple, Google, Lenovo, and more. We’re working with fantastically capable component and manufacturing partners who believe in our mission too. We can’t wait to build a better consumer electronics industry together.
– Nirav and the Framework Team
« end of the press release »