Steam Proton with NVIDIA DLSS
After experimental support with Proton 6.3-7, Valve is making NVIDIA Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) officially available with Proton 6.3-8.
2021 will be remembered for two reasons, ridiculously overpriced GPUs and the rise of super-resolution technology among three GPU vendors. After a successful launch of AMD FidelitFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology and Intel’s announcement of XeSS, NVIDIA is clearly making sure their DLSS technology keeps its place in the headlines.
Over the last few months, NVIDIA introduced DLAA (DLSS without the upscaling component), released DLSS SDK and Unreal Engine 5 plugin, and made improvements to its Image Sharpening/Upscaling technology. All this effort is to ensure NVIDIA upscaling technologies stay competitive and relevant for game developers and gamers.
DLSS in Proton
Linux gamers should be delighted to know that Valve’s Proton is now officially supporting DLSS. Proton is a Windows compatibility layer for Linux, based on the popular DirectX translation runtime called Wine. Proton is part of the SteamOS 3.0 which is used by Valve’s handheld gaming console Steam Deck. Unfortunately, DLSS will not work on the console as it is based on AMD Zen/RDNA2 silicon, not NVIDIA Turing/Ampere architecture. Gamers will still have a choice of AMD FSR and possibly Intel XeSS in the future though. However, the addition of DLSS to SteamOS means that the development of Linux gaming is now progressing rapidly.
Anti-Cheat software in Proton
The software will now support the BattleEye anti-cheating engine, which is used in a variety of games such as Conan Exiles, DayZ, Planetside 2, and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.
24 new games supported by Proton
Additionally, Valve confirms 24 new games are now supported by Proton, including games that were released just recently: Age of Empires 4, Deathloop, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Assassin’s Creed
- Breath of Death VI
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II singleplayer (202970)
- FIA European Truck Racing Championship
- Game Dev Tycoon
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
- Mafia II (Classic)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (AMD GPUs only)
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition (ME1 does not have working audio, see #4823)
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Monster Energy Supercross – The Official Video Game
- Monster Energy Supercross – The Official Video Game 2
- Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
- Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slicked Precipice of Darkness 3
- RiMS Racing
- The Riftbreaker
- Sol Survivor
- TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge
- TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2