Gigabyte AERO gets Threadripper treatment
Gigabyte has confirmed the launch of a new motherboard series called TRX50.
AMD is on the brink of unveiling its latest series of Threadripper CPUs in just a few hours. Nevertheless, Gigabyte has jumped the gun by sharing information about their new motherboard design, the TRX50 AERO D. These CPUs are typically aimed at content creation and workstation systems.
The TRX50 boasts compatibility with both Threadripper 7000 PRO and non-PRO series, which was confirmed yesterday. It’s important to note that the TRX50 is likely set to target the High-End Desktop (HEDT) market, in contrast to the WRX90 series, which is intended for high-end workstation systems with a significantly higher price point.
The new motherboard features sTR5 (SP6) socket and has four DDR5 DIMM slots with up to quad-channel support. It is expected that for the WRX90 chipset that support will extend to octa-channel.
One of the noteworthy features of the TRX50 is its support for PCIe Gen5 GPUs and the ability to accommodate up to three cards simultaneously, although the exact specifications are not provided. It’s anticipated that the TRX50 will offer up to 64 PCIe Gen5 lanes and provide four supported M.2 slots.
Regarding memory support, the board is compatible with up to four R-DIMM memory modules, which support AMD EXPO and Intel XMP overclocking profiles. The highest-rated memory configuration is DDR5-6800 in a 1Rx8 setup using the EXPO profile.
The new motherboard may soon go on preorder, however the Threadripper 7000 platform is not expected to hit the shelves unvil next month.
TRX50 AERO D Specifications
- Supports AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 7000 series/ Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 7000 series Processors
- Breakthrough Performance：16+8+4 Phases Digital VRM Solution
- Quad Channel DDR5：4*SMD R-DIMMs with AMD EXPO™ & Intel® XMP Memory Module Support
- Reinforced Overall Thermal：VRM Thermal Armor Advanced & M.2 Thermal Guard
- Ultimate Scalibility: 3*PCIe x16 slots for Multi-GPU and 4*PCIe x4 M.2 slots
- Next-gen Connectivity: Dual USB4® Type-C ports
- Blazing Fast Networks: 10GbE + 2.5 GbE Dual LAN and Wi-Fi 7
- PCIe UD Slot X：PCIe 5.0 x16 slot with 10X strength for graphics card
- EZ-Latch Click：M.2 heatsinks with screwless design
- EZ-Latch Plus：M.2 slots with quick release design
- Hi-Fi Audio with DTS:X® Ultra：ALC1220 CODEC
- UC BIOS：User-Centred intuitive UX with Quick Access function
Source: Gigabyte via @KOMACHI_ENSAKA