Yuri Bubliy (1USMUS) today releases his overclocking software for AMD Zen2 processors.
ClockTuner for Ryzen
ClockTuner for Ryzen 1.0 Main Screen
This innovative software takes the boring task of fine-tuning AMD Ryzen processors based on Zen2 architecture out of consumers’ hands. Not all processors are created equal. Some will overclock higher, others will fail with even with a small performance boost. AMD actually already provides very sophisticated software for overclocking (Ryzen Master), but it requires a lot of work to find the best settings.
The ClockTuner will adjust the clock speeds and voltage for each CCX group automatically. Technically the more CCXs the processor has, the higher the chance of finding the best core cluster. Thus Threadripper processors (featuring up to 16 CCX) are more likely to offer better results.
After weeks of updates from Yuri, the software is finally out today. A list of supported processors has been provided. The software also has recommendations when it comes to BIOS, software settings, and updates:
- Windows 10 x64 1909-2004 build and newer (type ‘winver’ to swiftly reveal your OS build)
- AMD Ryzen processor with Zen 2 architecture (Renoir is momentarily not supported);
- BIOS with AGESA Combo AM4 22.214.171.124 (and newer); check with CPU-Z – (download)
- .NET Framework 4.6 (and newer);
- CPU Voltage – Auto (BIOS);
- CPU Multiplier – Auto (BIOS);
- Ryzen Master 2.3 (uses the driver for monitoring) – (download)
- Stable RAM overclocking or stable XMP.
- SVM mode (Virtualzation) — disabled(BIOS).
Users are also advised to modify Load Line Calibrations on their motherboards accordingly:
- ASUS – LLC 3 or LLC 4;
- MSI – LLC 3;
- Gigabyte – in most cases Turbo, but it can also be Auto;
- ASRock is Auto or LLC 2; Importantly, CTR is mediocre compatible with ASRock motherboards, as all LLC modes show abnormally high Vdroop;
- Biostar – Level 4+ .
Compatibilty list for CTR 1.0
The screenshot was provided by the developer. It shows Ryzen 9 3900XT scoring 7974 points in Cinebench R20 after tuning. This is 10.9% better performance than stock. The software also adjusts the voltage and in this case, it lowered it by to 1.25V. Additionally, the clock speed is also changed up to 4550 MHz for two CCX groups.
CTR results for Ryzen 9 3900XT
But before you do, please read extensive guides provided in three languages: