AMD has issued a statement regarding the B450 and X470 motherboard support for Zen3 processors.
AMD B450 and X470 WILL SUPPORT Zen3
AMD today has confirmed that their upcoming Ryzen 4000 series codename “Vermeer” will, in fact, be supported on B450 and X470 motherboards. This means that AMD has backtracked from its original announcement.
During the B550 reveal AMD released a roadmap for Ryzen processor support on existing and upcoming motherboard chipsets. It was made clear that only B550, X570, and upcoming 600-series motherboards will support the Ryzen 4000 processors.
It is important to note that the statement does not refer to Ryzen 4000 series, but Zen3 processors. This means that the Ryzen 4000G series, which is based on Renoir and Zen2, may not be supported.
AMD Plan for B450/X470 support for Zen3 processors:
- We will develop and enable our motherboard partners with the code to support “Zen 3”-based processors in select beta BIOSes for AMD B450 and X470 motherboards.
- These optional BIOS updates will disable support for many existing AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor models to make the necessary ROM space available.
- The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.
- To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
- Timing and availability of the BIOS updates will vary and may not immediately coincide with the availability of the first “Zen 3”-based processors.
- This is the final pathway AMD can enable for 400 Series motherboards to add new CPU support. CPU releases beyond “Zen 3” will require a newer motherboard.
- AMD continues to recommend that customers choose an AMD 500 Series motherboard for the best performance and features with our new CPUs.