Special driver for Ratchet and Clank from AMD
AMD has introduced a special driver release for the Ratchet and Clank game, which encountered difficulties on Radeon GPUs during its launch. Specifically, the game faced issues related to ray tracing and dynamic resolution scaling on Radeon architectures, leading to crashes for users of AMD’s latest GPUs, including the Radeon RX 7900 XTX.
The newly released driver is not part of the official branch but is based on the latest 23.7.2 driver, sharing the same issues list. However, that driver lacked official optimizations specifically designed for the Ratchet and Clank game. The new driver, identified as version 23.10.23.03, focuses on addressing the game’s performance concerns.
GPU vendors often share such releases when they are not planning to issue new drivers in the immediate future. This can be due to upcoming launches of new technologies, games, or hardware. AMD likely opted for a quick release in the form of a dedicated driver, similar to NVIDIA’s hot fix drivers.
The newly introduced driver is compatible with all Radeon architectures, just like version 23.7.2. It has also passed the Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) test, although it did not receive official Microsoft certification. Users who have already downloaded the official branch driver may not need to update unless they intend to play the Ratchet and Clank game and require the performance optimizations provided by this specialized driver.
- Support for Ratchet & Clank™: Rift Apart
- Application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Ratchet & Clank™: Rift Apart with Ray-Tracing and Dynamic Resolution Scaling enabled on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
- Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
- High idle power has situationally been observed when using select multi-display setups with mixed high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
- Intermittent corruption may be observed playing Rocket League™ with Bloom set to Off on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
- Intermittent application hang for a few seconds may be observed while playing RuneScape™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT.
- Audio may intermittently become out of sync with video when recording from AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition with AV1 codec.
- Performance drop may be experienced for DirectX® 11 games on AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT when AMD SmartAccess Memory is Enabled. As a temporary workaround, users encountering this are recommended to disable SmartAccess Memory in the Performance Tuning Page.