AMD finally confirms its plans for the mainstream Radeon GPU series
During the Q1 2023 earnings call, AMD CEO and President Dr. Lisa Su admitted the company will have an update to the mainstream series this quarter.
It is not a secret that AMD is working on mid-range Radeon RX 7600 series for desktops. Earlier rumors mentioned that such a graphics card might launch this later month. Unfortunately, despite being announced months ago, the mobile Radeon 7700/7600 series are hardly available in stores.
Interestingly, AMD is now confirming that there will only be an update to the mainstream segment for Radeon 7000 series, which typically means RX x600/x700 series. However, there were no indicators for now that AMD could be developing anything other than the RX 7600 SKU.
In gaming graphics, channel sell-through of our Radeon 6000 and Radeon 7000 series GPUs increased sequentially. We saw strong sales of our high-end Radeon 7900 XTX GPUs in the first quarter, and we’re on track to expand our RDNA 3 GPU portfolio with the launch of new mainstream Radeon 7000 series GPUs this quarter.
— Dr. Lisa Su, AMD CEO
The RX 7600 GPU is said to use Navi 33 GPU with up to 32 Compute Units. There were some conflicting reports about whether the name of this card is 7600XT or just 7600, but chances are both models are already considered. In any case, the supposed launch date for such model is reportedly May 25th, so just a few days before Computex expo.
What might be worth reporting is that a pull request for ROCm software stack recently mentioned unreleased GPUs. The request was already removed, but luckily for us, it was saved by a Redditor. Google cache returns no data, but we confirmed that this was shared by one of the ROCm contributors:
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7950 XTX | RDNA3 | gfx1100 | Full | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7950 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1100 | Full | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX | RDNA3 | gfx1100 | Full | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1100 | Full | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1101 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7700 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7600 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7500 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7600M XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7600M | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
- AMD Radeon™ RX 7600S | RDNA3 | gfx1102 | Runtime | ✅
If this SKU list is indeed true, AMD would not only have RX 7600 XT in the works but also 7800, 7700 and 7500 GPUs. The GFX ID code would suggest that RX 7700/7600 and 7500 are all based on Navi 33, while RX 7800 would feature Navi 32 GPU instead.
Obviously, the most interesting part is the RX 7950XT series. The rumors about potential high-end RX 7900 updates are dated as back as May 2022, even before the RDNA3 desktop launch. However, nothing newer has been shared by any reputable source since, so the list should no doubt be taken with a grain of salt.
|RUMORED AMD Radeon RX 7000 Series|
|VideoCardz.com||GPU||Compute Units||Boost Clock||Memory||TBP||Launch Date|
|RX 7900 XTX||Navi 31 XTX|
|RX 7900 XT||Navi 31 XT|
|RX 7800 (XT)||Navi 31 (?)|
≤ 70 CUs*
|RX 7700 (XT)||Navi 32 (?)|
≤ 64 CUs
|RX 7600 (XT)||Navi 33 (?)|
≤ 32 CUs
|May 2023 (?)|