AMD today announced the arrival of the AMD FirePro R5000 remote graphics card, a flexible, manageable solution designed and engineered to power remote 3D-graphics workflows and full computing experiences over IP networks. The energy-, space- and cost-efficient AMD FirePro R5000 is the ideal solution for IT managers operating in data center environments where limited space, power budgets and cooling costs pose a constant challenge.
“IT professionals are looking for a secure and straight forward cloud-based graphics solution that delivers core functionality capable of adapting to meet each employee’s unique graphics needs,” said David Cummings, senior director and general manager of AMD Professional Graphics. “The AMD FirePro R5000 meets these needs, delivering the flexibility, functionality, security and industry-leading graphics capabilities companies look for when deciding on a remote graphics solution.”
AMD FirePro R5000 Remote Graphics Features and Benefits
● Low Power Solution: Maximum power consumption of 150W helps to minimize power costs and enables the use of small footprint low power client devices that are capable of supporting up to four displays remotely;
● Effective Cooling: Minimizes system heat and fan noise in employee work areas, helps to reduce cooling costs and create cooler, quieter workspaces while a variable speed fan adjusts to accelerate the exchange of air heated by server components for cooler ambient air;
● Scale and Simplicity: Centrally located in the data center, IT can accommodate flexible seating arrangements or provide employees with zero clients, ultimately helping IT get employees up and running more quickly;
● Flexibility of Deployment: Delivers the deployment flexibility IT needs, including the option to deploy in desktop workstations, rack and blade servers, and PCIe expansion chassis;
● Power Management: AMD PowerTune and AMD ZeroCore Power intelligent power management and monitoring tools enable IT managers to effectively track and contain power usage;
● High Performance Remote Protocol: The next generation Teradici TERA2240 host processor is able to transmit up to 300 megapixels per second and drive up to four displays per end user, with refresh rates up to 60 frames per second giving what Teradici describes as “the best remote user experience possible.”
“With the introduction of the AMD FirePro R5000 with Teradici PCoIP processor, IT departments now have powerful centralized computing solutions that are easy to manage, and deliver the graphics performance required to handle high resolution images, video and 3D models with ease,” said Trent Punnett, vice president of Product Management, System Engineering and Corporate Development at Teradici. “In addition, the AMD FirePro R5000 can be brokered and managed by VMware View giving a common broker and management window across both workstation and VDI desktops, and works with PCoIP zero clients that are offered by an ecosystem of over 30 OEMs.”
The AMD FirePro R5000 is rigorously tested by AMD to ensure readiness for demanding professional use. It is a durable remote graphics solution intended to increase asset utilization density, meet real-world workloads and ultimately help IT minimize operating costs and time spent on servicing individual systems.
“Tasked with finding a thin client solution capable accelerating real-time 2D and basic 3D graphics for game development and computer animation classes, we turned to AMD’s first generation remote graphics product, the ATI FirePro RG220,” said Mahesh Neelakanta, director of the Technical Services Group, Florida Atlantic University. “Not only were we able to conserve energy and save time on system maintenance, the graphics cards were able to handle video, 2D images and animations, and 3D elements without bogging down the system or noticeable pixelation. Offering a more powerful GPU, four times the memory and nearly eight times the memory bandwidth of the RG220, the R5000 will allow us to deploy remote systems for our more advanced classes and configure multimonitor set ups our students will eventually encounter in the workplace.”
Backed by a three-year warranty and planned three-year minimum lifecycle, the AMD FirePro R5000 will be available from select retailers and channel partners.