AMD Corp. is backed by broadcast technology leaders such as AJA Video Systems, Blackmagic Design, Bluefish444, Deltacast, DVS, and Matrox, as it launches the AMD FirePro SDI-Link and AMD FirePro V7900 SDI Professional Graphics Card.
The solutions unveiled at the IBC 2011 are aimed to address real-time and GPU-accelerated broadcast pipelines, which require serial digital interface (SDI) input and output.
Targeting manufacturers, technology integrators and software developers, AMD FirePro SDI-Link allows the design of fully featured SDI- and GPU-based solutions with ultra-low latency between select AMD professional graphics cards and third party SDI input/output products.
“Integrators in the broadcast and real-time video production market can now benefit from the latest advances in GPU acceleration,” said Sandeep Gupte, general manager of professional graphics at AMD. “Solutions built around AMD FirePro SDI-Link, with the support from broadcast technology leaders, are able to simultaneously solve the two key challenges facing video pipeline solution providers today: the need for flexible SDI input and output capabilities, and the requirement for real-time GPU-SDI communication in an integrated solution.”
By leveraging the combined decades of SDI-related experience from AMD’s technology collaborators, along with the new AMD DirectGMA technology that allows SDI I/O products and select professional graphics cards such as the new AMD FirePro V7900 SDI to communicate directly over PCI Express (PCIe), customers can build solutions for virtual sets, professional video production/post-production, on-air motion graphics, on-set 3D VFX, and other scenarios. All of this can be accomplished with ease via APIs exposed in the AMD FirePro SDI-Link software developer kit, allowing the delivery of new capabilities and feature sets with never-before-seen flexibility and cost-effectiveness.
“The video broadcast market has been seeking a reliable, quality solution for some time,”
said Jon Peddie, president, Jon Peddie Research.
“AMD has upped the ante when it comes to the video marketplace by engaging with the top six industry leaders in this space. Kudos to AMD for tackling another market, backed by technology leadership.”
AMD FirePro SDI-Link is supported by AJA Video Systems, Blackmagic Design, Bluefish444, Deltacast, DVS, and Matrox. The company claims that it is the first one:
- to support AMD FirePro SDI-Link and planned certified compatibility with five manufacturers with PCIe cards offering;
- to address real-time professional video and broadcast graphics pipelines while delivering the same industry-leading GPU performance; and
- to leverage AMD’s exclusive AMD DirectGMA technology.
The AMD FirePro V7900 SDI professional graphics card is slated for availability in October 2011 for Rs.1.12 lakh ($2,499).
- READ MORE (Source): AMD launches ultra-low latency GPU sol’ns
About AMD FirePro™ SDI-Link
AMD FirePro™ SDI-Link -the evolution of GPU-powered professional video pipelines.
Solving technological limitations of the past, AMD FirePro™ SDI-Link enables a new ecosystem of choice and functionality upon which OEMs and other system integrators can build solutions for broadcast graphics and real-time video production/post-production. AMD FirePro™ SDI-Link provides ultra-low latency system performance, powerful GPU computing and robust SDI (Serial Digital Interface) video signal compatibility.
- Fulfills industry need for low-latency, GPU acceleration and robust SDI signal compatibility in a single platform
- Fully-supports 3G SDI and other advanced signaling standards
- 3rd-party SDI I/O PCIe board compatibility and certification2
- Supports advanced APIs such as OpenCLTM 1.1, OpenGL 4.2 and DirectX® 11
- Fully supports the new AMD FirePro™ V7900 SDI professional graphics card
- Superior price/performance and value for OEMs, integrators and end-users
- SDI-Link Tech Brief
- SDI-Link data sheet
- AMD FirePro™ V7900 SDI data sheet
- AMD OpenGL /Open CL Developer APIs
- AMD FirePro™ Family Brochure