July 11th, 2012
Turn Your Radeon HD 7970 Into GHz Edition With A Leaked BIOS
The Tahiti XT2 GPU might indeed be a more matured silicon (and therefore offer a better overclocking potential), but all the features are available for older Tahiti XT as well. Icrontic reports that all the juicy stuff, including new default clocks and PowerTune feature can be applied by simple modification.
What comes with this BIOS:
- a default core clock of 1000 MHz (from 925 MHz)
- a default memory clock of 1500 MHz (from 1375 MHz)
- PowerTune with boost clock of 1050 MHz (not available for the first revision of HD 7970)
Please note, that technically all Radeon HD 7970 cards should easily operate at those core frequencies, so this is a very safe modification. However, some models might not handle the new memory clock. It’s almost impossible to brick your card with this mod, because Radeon HD 7970 has a bios switch. So before you begin to flash a new one, change the switch to the other position (as seen on the picture). Then running the file as administrator in Windows flash a new BIOS and reboot. That’s all.
Before you flash
- Remember that you are doing this on your own risk.
- Also it’s unknown if the file works with 6GB version too.
- This modification will void your warranty.
- Source: Icrontic